Edit an A record in your GoDaddy zone file if you need to update where your domain is pointing. Changes to an existing A record may cause your website or email service to be temporarily interrupted. If you’re trying to change your www record, you’ll need to edit your CNAME record instead.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select your domain to access the Domain Settings page.
- Select Manage DNS under Additional Settings.
- Select Edit next to the A record you want to edit.
Note: Can’t edit the record? Check these settings or products:
• Do you own Search Engine Visibility? Our GoDaddy Guides are here to help edit the record.
• Is forwarding enabled on the domain? Delete forwarding to enable editing the record.
• Is the domain connected to a 3rd-party site (e.g., Squarespace or LinkedIn)? Visit that site to disconnect it, or remove the connection to enable editing the record.
• Is a firewall turned on in Website Security? Edit your IP address to the correct IP for your hosting account.
- Edit the details for your A record:
- Name: The host name for the A record. Type @ to put the A record on your root domain, or enter a subdomain prefix such as www.
- Value: The IP address for your A record. Typically this will be the IP address of your hosting account.
- TTL: How long the server should cache information. The default setting is 1 hour.
- Select Save to complete your changes.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour, but could take up to 48 hours to update globally
Earle is a Digital Marketing Specialist with over twenty years of experience. Specialising in growing client databases and online memberships, he is the director of Clientology and owner of webticky.com